Friday, April 25, 2008

April 23, 2008

May 12th we fly out of NYC to Beijing. May 8th, I think, I'm driving with Melissa to Philly, where I'll hang out for a day or two before visiting my brother in NYC. This is an exciting plan, no?

In the mean time, there's too much to do. Or at least there's enough to do that it cuts into my "reading comic books, playing bassoon, and writing bad prose" time. Next week I'm going to the dentist. Tomorrow I'm getting my pack for the summer. Today I'm packing, cleaning, and sorting my life into three categories: What I Need This Summer, What I Need Next Fall, What I Don't Need. The last is the biggest.

Getting ready for this trip has mostly made me realize that I don't need so much of the stuff I have and I don't have the things I actually need (pants that fit, for example.) When you're getting ready to live for three months out of a large backpack, you begin to reevaluate your needs hierarchy. Or at least I do.

I've decided which books I'm taking this summer. I'll be writing about them in A to Z soon and then editing the literature review after I get back.

No comments: